Back to All Events

Fire in Sausalito

  • Sausalito Library 100 Litho Street Sausalito, CA, 94965 United States (map)
75-138_001 Fire Cart.jpg

Fire in Sausalito!
Current and former Sausalito firefighters will share stories and tips on fire prevention in this panel discussion presented by the Sausalito Historical Society. This will take place Friday, September 20 at 7:00 p.m., in the Sausalito public library. An introductory presentation will include a short video of the new fireboat purchased in 2019 by the Southern Marin Fire District that is stationed in Sausalito.

The panel will be followed by an opening reception for the new “FIRE!” exhibit in the Sausalito Historical Society, located on the 3rd floor of City Hall.

Exhibit

The Sausalito Historical Society’s latest exhibit, “FIRE!” will open on September 20th in the Sausalito Historical Society exhibit room on the 3rd floor of City Hall. The exhibit features stories and photos of fires in Sausalito, artifacts, and ephemera from the Sausalito Fire Department. Some of the artifacts on display include combat helmets, historic badges, tools, and other items from past firefighters. A timeline will depict significant fires, fire houses, Fire Chiefs throughout Sausalito’s History.

thumbnail.jpg

A display case across from the City Manager’s office in City Hall focuses on the early 1900s hose carts used by the Sausalito Fire Department. Both volunteers and paid firefighters used these carts to fight fires. Teams trained and pulled the carts, which invariably led to a competition to determine the fastest team. The display includes a map of cart locations, a large silver trophy presented to the fastest team in the 1910 race, and photos of the teams with their carts.

From the 1880's until the founding of the Sausalito Fire Department in 1904, the town was served by a Volunteer Fire Department with hand pulled carts. In 1893 the entire downtown business section was burned to the ground prompting calls for a more efficient system. In 1904 the city-funded fire department was formed, and town blacksmith A. A. Jewett named as the first Fire Marshal. The original firehouse is located on Bridgeway. It was here that one of the original hose carts was stored.